Holy Ejmiadzin, Centre of the Armenian Apostolic Church – a place revered by Armenians around the world. Here in the territory of about 60000 m². located – Cathedral St. Echmiadzin Theological Academy of St. Echmiadzin, the residence of the Patriarch, Catholicos of All Armenians, the Synod of the Armenian church, a library and library, cells monastic brotherhood, some other auxiliary church buildings. Cathedral of the oldest Christian temple in Armenia and one of the first in the whole Christian world, the foundation stone of this temple was built in 301 AD Gregory the Illuminator (Educator) – the first Catholicos of the Armenian Church, during the reign Trdat III (287-330 years). . Painting the interior of the cathedral completed in 1721 and represents a variety of floral design, executed in orange – red and blue-purple colors. The cathedral is an altar which is a holy place, according to tradition it was at this place went Jesus Christ in his phenomenon Gregory the Illuminator, and commanded the latter to build a temple here. To store the relics and gifts received Armenian Church, the Cathedral were added three rooms, which are now museum of the monastery. The museum preserves the holy relics of the church, church accessories, apparel, embroidered with gold and pearls, crosses, chairs and staffs of the Catholicos, among the relics – an icon containing a fragment of Noah’s ark. On the territory of the monastery yard deserve special attention khachkars and graves Catholicoses front of the cathedral. Theological Academy of St. Echmiadzin – the world’s only institution of its kind here in the five years studying the Armenians from around the world wishing to devote themselves to serving the Armenian Church.
An architectural monument, XVII century., The monastery – the fortress, situated on a hill near the village of Vedi, Ararat region Pokr. In the old days there was a historical city of Artashat, one of the ancient capitals of Armenia. Instead of the now defunct fortress-monastery, there was a royal prison. Virap (in Armenian – pit), it is filled with poisonous snakes and insects deep pit, where the cast of convicted prisoners. In the chronicles the famous Armenian historian Agatangegosa here bore his sufferings Gregory the Illuminator – the founder of the adoption hristyanstva in Armenia (301). In 642, the Catholicos Nerses he built a chapel, which was made of white limestone. The Chapel in its space – the space physique resembled a temple Zvartnots was subsequently destroyed. Instead, in 1662 built our current church, St. Astvatsatsin (XVII cent.) To which the west side adjacent belfry. Located in a complex Xor Virap pit – prison, which was G. Illuminator has a diameter of 4,4 meters and height of 6m. In the monastery of Khor Virap located Seminary. From the monastery, because of the special closeness, opens a wonderful view of the biblical Mount Ararat.
Monastery of Gandzasar (X cent.) Is in the Martakert region of Nagorno-Karabakh., On the left bank of the river. Khachen. For centuries, the monastery is the spiritual and cultural center, and the end of the XIV century. residence of the Catholicos of the Armenian historical Ahvank.Preserved temple (1216) and Gawith (1261). The monastery is famous for its ancient manuscripts. In the monastery have been trained well-known spiritual figures who have contributed to the development of scientific and spiritual life of the region. The temple is outside the square, inside a three-storey cruciform structure. The inside walls of the monastery is rich with numerous sculptures in the form of humans and animals. In the territory adjacent to the monastery, there are unique khachkars, and other monastic buildings.
Temple Kazanchezots or Amenaprkich (1868) is located in the city of Shusha Nagornoom Karabakh. It is one of the largest Armenian churches. It has a dome shape of a basilica. Made of limestone with a high dome, and thanks to built in front of the northern, southern and western entrances gavit, like our ancient Cathedral of the Holy Echmiadzin.
Church of St. Hripsime (618) is located in Echmiadzin perfect example of church architecture.The temple is named after the martyred virgins Hripsime. Solemn monumentality and crystal clarity emanate from this temple. Bunk with eight-column belfry belfry added in 1790 from the former interior inlaid with mother of pearl preserved Patronal Gates (1741). The relics of St. Hripsime buried in an underground tomb. Archaeologists digging in the temple suggested that before the Christian era, this is where the ancient temple is very similar to the temple at Garni, talking about it they had found fragments of the structure, is strikingly similar to the details of the Garni temple.
Ancient Armenian fortress and settlement (27 km. To the east of Yerevan), was founded approximately in II. BC on the site location neolythic settlement. The summer residence of Armenian kings (Artashesids and Arsacide). At the fortress ruins of powerful hedge with rectangular towers, a pagan temple (I in. AD) type Greco-Roman perimeter with Ionic columns, and rich in ornamental stone carving. Archaeologists discovered the ruins of a large hall, two-story residential buildings and baths with mosaic floors, were part of the manor – the palace complex (I-III cent.), Round four absidnogo Christian church in VII. In the settlement – the ruins of Basilica Church (V in.) And some other medieval churches.
The monastic complex (XIII-XIV centuries.) Amaghu near the village, Vayots Dzor marz of Armenia. Includes Church of St. Karapet (1221-1227 years.) Dome-type rooms with bunk outside, the porch (1261), the tomb – Church of St. Gregory (1275) type of vaulted hall, as well as a two-story church of St. Astvatsatsin (sv.Bogoroditsy, 1339), with burial in the ground and memorial temple on the second floor. Within the fence (XVIII cent.) And outside the ruins of various civic buildings (XIII – XVIII centuries) and cross-stones.
Gexard Ayrivank – Cave Monastery, founded in the IV. in the gorge of the river Harney, forty kilometers. south-east of Yerevan, a complex of monuments of Armenian medieval architecture. Inside the fence is a cross – a domed church of St. Astvatsatsin (1215), decorated with carvings and reliefs, four stolpny Gawith (1225), two domes, carved into the rock churches (one with the porch – the burial place, both in 1283, four stolpnaya tomb in 1288, and others outside fence – polupeschernaya Church St. Gregory XII century)..
Medieval monastery complex (X-XIII cc.) In the same village of Lori marz of Armenia. Walled.Preserved: the main church of St. Nshan (967-991) with the sculptural images of the outside and painted (XIII-XIV centuries.) Inside; Church of Sts. Gregory (1005) and a small domed church of St. Astvatsatsin (XII-XIII cc.) XIII in the refectory. with original arched surface; XIII in the book depository., tiered bell tower (1245), cross-stones, etc.